Sunday, January 11, 2009

Museum of American History and the National Shrine

Today I woke up still feeling quasi-shitty, almost like a hangover, but without all of the fun the night before. I decided to Metro into the city again and attempt to the Museum of American History. I enjoyed this museum, but not as much as the Natural History or the Air and Space Museum. I didn’t get to spend much time in this one because I woke up pretty late and had plans to go to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Now the National Shrine is something to write home about! But first let me say what amazing artifacts were at the American History Museum including: Dorothy’s red sequined shoes from the Wizard of Oz, C3PO from Star Wars, the star spangled banner, the inaugural dresses of many of the first ladies, Kermit the Frog, a recreation of a family fallout shelter and Julia Child’s kitchen. After running through this museum, I headed to Catholic University via the Metro to see the National Shrine. I made it just in time to catch the last guided tour of the day, which was definitely the way to see the sights! This is by far the most extraordinarily beautiful building I have ever stepped foot in. It is the largest Roman Catholic Church in North America, with over 70 chapels that flank the sides of the upper church and crypt level church. The history within the walls is unreal and I want to go back again and again to hear the stories of each of the mosaic pieces. Only two oil paintings exist in the entire building and the rest of the art is mosaic in the Byzantine style. I stayed for mass and found myself having difficulty paying attention due to the sheer magnitude and glory of the architecture and art that makes up this building. After mass, I wandered around taking pictures and found myself staying for an additional hour, enjoying the space around me. I will definitely be going back to the Shrine again before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment