Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lincoln, Darwin, and Clarendon

This morning I woke up and moseyed on over to Best Buy in Pentagon City to buy a new digital camera. The sales guy was super annoying trying to sell me the dang insurance that costs half as much as the camera and an SD memory card that I already have. I ended up getting the PowerShot SD790 IS and I love it!
So after my digicam excursion, I took the metro into DC to meet up with Chris at the National Museum of American History. I had seen most of the museum, but the Abraham Lincoln exhibit just opened last weekend.

I also went through the America on the Move, Lighting a Revolution, and The Price of Freedom: Americans at War. My favorite things I saw today were Lincoln's top hat that he was wearing at Ford's Theater, Edison's collection of experimental materials to be used for filaments, and George Washington's camping chest.

After the American History museum, I showed Chris the Old Post Office Building, which is still my favorite view of the city.

The National Museum of Natural History was next to explore a new exhibit, Orchids Through Darwin's Eyes.

So I know that Chris and I are complete PT nerds in that we discussed osteo- and arthro-kinematics of the animals in the Bones exhibit for about an hour.

Osteology: Hall of Bones
Who has bones? Fishes, amphibians, birds, reptiles and mammals do. In our Osteology Hall you can observe a variety of vertebrate skeletons grouped by their evolutionary relationships. You can compare a human and gorilla, bone for bone. Count the number of neck vertebrae in a human and a giraffe. Observe skeletal features that are unique to reptiles or to fish.

Later in the evening we went out to a bar in Clarendon called Whitlow's. The place was packed, but we were able to snag a booth right when we got there. There was a cover band playing called Road Soda. They covered everything from Jay-Z to The Killers.. pretty wide variety of music that night and it was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment